Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Together as ONE

Together as ONE

          Only 24 hours in Kenya and I have “come alive”.  I can say that with a feeling in me so strong it is hard to explain.  We were given experiences today that I wish I could create for everyone I come into contact with.  Honestly, I have had only a few hours of sleep over the last few days and as we wrap up this first day I am here fully awake holding the women I met today in my mind.
          As I found myself in community with these Kenyan moms, I only kept feeling more connected.  We shared stories of our kids and of the struggles we face as moms.  It did not matter if they were in the rural village or a successful women working for the CDC we had something in common-we were all moms.  Because of that we could listen with our heart.
As I pull my notes together over the next few days I will be able to give a post in more details, but for now if I can only stress the beauty and strength that I saw in these women today will be with me forever.  This trip has ignited a passion-I will be advocating now with the personal stories that I have experienced.  We need the voice of moms everywhere!  The women of Africa are doing their part—I have seen it. My new friend, Florence and I said today as we were saying goodbye, “together as ONE” we can create change.

          Part of our ONE Week with the mom bloggers we are asking you to join us from home by taking action.  Every day I will post what we did along with a way you can give your voice.  This action will take 1 minute of your time and I can tell you from what I saw today our US dollars are going a long way and providing these families with the necessities they need to live healthy productive lives.



3 comments:

  1. Wow, Rachel...what an amazing, life-changing experience...can't wait to hear all about it when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, It has been so great getting to know you on this trip. I love your blog. Its title is perfect and ties right into our experiences in Kenya. Looking forward to future adventures and One events!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing Rachel!! I can not wait to hear all about it when you get back!!!

    ReplyDelete